Maybe the bullies…
- Don’t feel empathy and so they can’t understand how bullied kids feel.
- Think there is some pay off for hurting other kids.
- Are jealous of other kids.
- Don’t have to suffer consequences.
- Haven’t been taught about The Golden Rule.
Whatever the reasons are, something needs to be done to stop them. I think a lot of people make bullying situations too complicated. When that happens, the solution to stopping the bullies gets too complicated. When solutions are too complicated, nobody succeeds.
Who wants complicated? Being nice is simple and so should the way we stop bullying. Since bullies aren’t kind we need to do simple things to stop them. When the bullying situations are explained in simple ways, the solutions can be explained in simple ways that everyone gets. When they get it, they can succeed at stopping the bullies.
Bullying – Make It Simple
If you are a kid:
- Team up with a kid who is being bullied and ask other kids to join your team. There is strength in numbers.
- Ask someone specific to team up with you if you are being bullied. Then ask that kid to get others to team up with you.
- Try not to show your sadness when someone hurts your feelings. Instead you can say something like, “ Does making a comment like that help you feel better about yourself?” And then walk away.
If you are an adult:
- Pay closer attention to what is happening with the kids around you.
- Let kids know that bullying will not be tolerated and give appropriate consequences.
- Be fair and make sure that the consequences apply to everyone. Don’t make excuses. Bullying is bullying.
That’s pretty simple… don’t you think? Kindness is shameless and painless. I would love to have you on the Rugby Jones’ No Bully Zones Team! How about it?