What is the deal with bullying? I mean really? What is it that give bullies such a charge when they are mean?
Maybe the bullies…
- Don’t feel empathy and so they can’t understand how bullied kids feel.
- Think there is some pay off for hurting other kids.
- Are jealous of other kids.
- Don’t have to suffer consequences.
- Haven’t been taught about The Golden Rule.
Whatever the reasons are, something needs to be done to stop them. I think a lot of people make bullying situations too complicated. When that happens, the solution to stopping the bullies gets too complicated. When solutions are too complicated, nobody succeeds.
Who wants complicated? Being nice is simple and so should the way we stop bullying. Since bullies aren’t kind we need to do simple things to stop them. When the bullying situations are explained in simple ways, the solutions can be explained in simple ways that everyone gets. When they get it, they can succeed at stopping the bullies.
Bullying – Make It Simple
If you are a kid:
- Team up with a kid who is being bullied and ask other kids to join your team. There is strength in numbers.
- Ask someone specific to team up with you if you are being bullied. Then ask that kid to get others to team up with you.
- Try not to show your sadness when someone hurts your feelings. Instead you can say something like, “ Does making a comment like that help you feel better about yourself?” And then walk away.
If you are an adult:
- Pay closer attention to what is happening with the kids around you.
- Let kids know that bullying will not be tolerated and give appropriate consequences.
- Be fair and make sure that the consequences apply to everyone. Don’t make excuses. Bullying is bullying.
That’s pretty simple… don’t you think? Kindness is shameless and painless. I would love to have you on the Rugby Jones’ No Bully Zones Team! How about it?
There are only 21 days until Christmas and I want to do something special for some special needs kids. Do you want to help me? I’m sure you do because you care and the holiday season is a special time to show how much we care.
I want to give some of my Rugby Jones plush toys to some special needs kids. There are lots of kids who may not get special toys and there are many kids who need my help so that they will understand that being disabled is just a stumbling block on the way to a great future. Special needs kids need to gain self esteem and their parents need support and we can help.
My job is to get the stuffed Rugbys in the mail in time for Christmas and your job is to tell me about a special needs kid or a group of special needs kids that you know. We need to receive your comments by December 14th at midnight. We will decide which comments describe the kids who are most deserving of receiving the stuffed “me.” We will mail the packages on the 15th. How cool is that?
Help Special Needs Kids by Telling Us:
- Why this child or children should receive the stuffed Rugby Plush Toys. (This is the most important part of your job!)
- The age of the child or children
- The name and address of a responsible adult who will accept the package and give it to the child or group of children in time for Christmas – No P.O Boxes please!
That’s it. What could be an easier way to show that you are aware and care about special needs kids? So… all you have to do is give a little bit of your time and send a comment on this site or send a DM to me @RugbyJones if you are on Twitter. (Or you can DM @RugbyJonesMom on Twitter. ) You could even email me at Rugby at RugbyJones dot com. (We will send a message to you making sure that your email address is correct and would appreciate your giving your name so that we can mention that you were the one who cared. Your email address will not be shared with anyone.) If you have any questions, just ask!
[contact-form][contact-field label=’Your Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Your Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Name and address of adult who will receive the package for the child or children – required’ type=’text’/][contact-field label=’Reason why this child should receive the stuffed Rugby Jones Plush Dog’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Age of child – required ‘ type=’text’/][/contact-form]
In case you don’t know me very well, you can read this.“Rugby Jones shows us what it is like to be different – and that being different is okay. In his own lovably cocky style, Rugby introduces us to his family and friends, talks about his injuries, his feelings, and his determination. There are scores of pictures that illustrate the story and really make it more than just a story, but of a shared journey with friends you get to know and love.” Rugby’s heartwarming and humorous narrative is filled with hope and understanding as he shares his earnest lessons on life. Guess what? Rugby just might be your hero if you give him the chance. (The “Tail” of Rugby Jones: A Rascal’s Journey from Disability to Ability is available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble or http://www.rugbyjones.com )
Background Photo: Chrisdesign